Friday, June 6, 2025

July & August 2021

JULY 5
You grow up, move away, make friends who become family then the military moves you apart. This lady has been one of my favorites for 13 years, heck I'm even her baby's God mother! Never in a thousand years would I have imagined these two would be having dinner in the same city across the street from each other and of course she couldn't pass up the chance to meet my little brother! 
I'm so glad we were texting and figured it out even though I was very jealous that I wasn't there!
7-16
When we lived in Colorado we hung out with the Huzzy's all the time.  They have lived in Maryland the last 3 years and are moving to Italy so we got together before they left! 
Tabbi and Me
Kaleb, Izzy, Jack, Thomas, Maddie, and Adalie!
7-22
Jack made this pic and asked me to put it on Facebook lol 
He thought it was so funny that the "Service you can count on" was being towed πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
7-23
The boys got their first job! They are so excited! $20 each time they mow.  Of course they have to split that.  
7-29 Happy 3rd Birthday to Barrett! He has brought so much joy to our family! The boys love him so much and he adores them! 
He's so cute!
Barrett and Milly enjoying a play date! 
7-30
I made a decision back in March that's becoming a reality very soon. We will be homeschooling both boys this year! 😬
Virtual learning was a nightmare for my boys. They had a hard time staying focused and kaleb would never ask questions because the whole class could hear everything he said.  
I'm not blaming the teachers at all! In fact I was very impressed with our little elementary school and the progress they made from spring 2020 to fall 2020. You could really tell they spent the summer taking classes and learning all they could to make a virtual year successful. 
 That being said, Kaleb definitely fell through the cracks but I wasn't aware of it until March because he had 4's in all his subjects. That's like getting all A's. He was in the advanced math program so he was doing 5th grade math in 4th grade but when I asked him to show me how to multiply double digits he didn't have a clue. I called his teacher and told her and she told me she was wondering if he got it and that she didn't think he really understood fractions either. I asked why he was still in the advanced math class and why she hadn't pulled him back to 4th grade math and she told me "it is a special year" and basically everyone is behind. 😳
 
Now, I'll admit I'm the parent that assumes if you don't hear from the teacher everything must be going well but after this conversation I really started paying attention and researching our county's school requirements. What I found was they don't really teach grammar, or spelling anymore because they believe the more they see it while reading they will just learn it. They do teach them to write but don't correct anything until 7th grade because they don't want kids to hate writing because they are made aware of their mistakesπŸ™„
Another factor in this decision is even though they are going back 5 days a week my anxiety can't take wondering if they are going to close schools if covid spikes again then we'll be back online.  
After spending a lot of time researching homeschool curriculum and learning my kid's learning styles I have put together a curriculum that I think will catch them up and set them up for success in middle school.  
I'm so nervous but excited as well. The boys were a huge part of this decision. They looked over the programs with me and helped picked some of the ones were using.  
I might be hiding in my closet crying by week 2 but I'm really hoping for a successful year and I'm excited to spend this extra time with the boys.πŸ’™πŸ’™
Here are some pictures of our new homeschool room! 
 Wish me luck! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Kaleb has really gotten into fishing this summer.  He found this cart on a neighbor's curb to be thrown away and he has pulled it to the marina all summer! He has yet to catch anything, but that's not stopping him! πŸ’™
Aug 2nd
Josh saw a vehicle with mountains on it and he wanted to get them on the van with our J team logo on it but when I had it priced it was going to be almost $1,000 so I decided to try and do it with my Cricut! This is the template I made.  
8-6
Daddy comes home! Waiting at the airport is always the worst part but once he comes out of customs it's always worth it! Kaleb was so excited to go get him he forgot to put shoes on and had to walk through the airport in his socks! Lol 
Barrett even gets excited when he comes home! 
Trying on Daddy's new uniform coat
He's still a climber! 
8-15
I know I say it all the time but Jack has looking so grown up! He couldn't wait to have a suit like his Dad!
8-16 First Day of Homeschool! 
Let's do this! πŸ’™πŸ’™
Yes I know the date is wrong.  Lol
8-20
We went to Virginia Beach to go to a retirement ceremony of some friends we made in Germany.  They were camping so we decided to try out camping in the van for the first time! It was hot and we need to figure a lot of things out but it was fun and we love the beach! 
Josh was happy because he got to fly good big kite!
8-25 we joined the homeschool co-op on Fort Belvoir and took our first field trip with them today.  We visited the Tall Ship Providence in Old Town Alexandria.  It was cool and they taught them how they used to navigate in the old days.  It was so hot outside though.  
The best thing about homeschool so far is having class outside when it's nice! 
I caught this sweet moment of the boys talking on the swing.  Moments like this don't happen too often anymore! 









0 comments: